The Diamond Jubilee Gardens

The Diamond Jubilee Gardens

 

The story of the site

The land between the River Thames, King Street,
Water Lane and Wharf Lane was purchased in 1924
by the Twickenham Urban District Council with the
sanction of, and a loan from, the Ministry of Health.
This was for the purpose of providing public walks
and pleasure grounds.

Richmond House, which was on part of the site, was
demolished in 1928 and some land was sold for
commercial properties in 1929. In 1937 the King Street
Parade shops and flats, with service road at the rear,
were built.

An open air swimming pool was opened in 1935 for the
Silver Jubilee of George V. It was closed for repairs in
1981 and never reopened. The pool site lay derelict
until 2005 when the Jubilee Gardens, which included
a café and playground, was built on part of the site.

On 24th June 2012 the Jubilee Gardens, now renamed
the Diamond Jubilee Gardens, was opened to the public
by HRH Princess Alexandra at an event organized by
the Twickenham Riverside Trust and Richmond Council and sponsored by the Rugby Football Union

The Diamond Jubilee Gardens is the proud outcome of
over 25 years of campaigning by Twickenham Riverside
Terrace Group
to prevent the old swimming pool site
from being sold to developers and instead to be
reinstated as public amenity for the whole community. 


Award winning landscape

Although only opened in 2012, the Diamond Jubilee
Gardens has already won two awards:

Royal Horticultural Society Britain in Bloom 2013
Sustainable Landscaping Award
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Community-gardening/Britain-in-Bloom/News/rhs-britain-in-bloom-results

British Association of Landscape Industries
National Landscape Award 2013
Hard Landscaping Construction Award
http://www.thelandscapegroup.co.uk/studies/twickenham-riverside-diamond-jubilee-gardens

medRichmondHousesep
Teepee1770

Twickenham Riverside Trust

Registered office: Minster House, 126a High Street, Whitton TW2 7LL
Company no. 07788702   Charity no. 1147557






 

TRTbannerAW

News and Events

A Public Open Space


Getting to the
Diamond Jubilee Gardens

 

TRTlogo3
Line2

Top: Richmond House

Above: Twickenham
swimming pool in its
1960's hayday*



Left: the newly opened
pool in the 1930s





Work begins clearing
the old pool site in
October 2010
 

Home          About us         News and Events          Location          Contact us

edited1
Poolpc

* Photo © Frederick J Wilfred
courtesy of Museum of London

during1